Citibank often provides new back to school offers for students who are interested in picking up a student-friendly credit card. For those in college who are ready to get started using a credit card, and who know they’ve got the discipline to manage their debt and credit well, then checking out a student card may be a good opportunity to start building their credit history.
Here are some quick notes about the new deals for the season. Active promotions are only available for new cardholders.
Active Back To School Promotion from Citi Student Cards
We aim to keep you posted on the latest back to school credit card campaigns on this page. At this time the back to school offers from Citibank have elapsed, but you may still find great deals for credit cards in our special promotions page, which is updated daily.
Or for related information, check out our Citibank credit card page and our college student credit card page for a variety of card options. We keep these sections up to date with the latest Citi card deals that pop up.
You can check our old promos below, if you’re interested in making comparisons. As you can see, these deals are made available on a regular basis, so make sure you scope out all the options before making a decision.
Past & Inactive Back To School Promotions from Citibank Cards
Note that the following deals have expired. But you’ll notice that these campaigns are predictable and come around during the same time each year.
#1. Citi Forward Card For College Students: $75 Statement Credit
- With the Citi Forward Card for College Students, you can receive a statement credit worth $75 after you make back to school purchases that amount to at least $150 within 3 months of account open. These purchases you make should be for clothing, electronics or books.
- This card gives you 100 ThankYou rewards points for good customer behavior (e.g. avoid going over your credit limit and pay on time).
- You can earn 1,000 ThankYou points by simply signing up for electronic statements (within the first 3 months of being a cardholder).
- You won’t need a cosigner.
- You can get an APR reduction for being a good customer.
- There’s no annual fee.
- You’ll get 0% intro APR for 7 months on new purchases.
#2 Citi Dividend Platinum Select Card For College Students: $50 Cash Back
This card for students has a cash back promo, which is also aimed at the back to school crowd. Once you open an account, just make $150 in purchases over the next 3 months and you’ll receive $50 cash back. While it requires you to be an enrolled college or grad student who’s aged 18 or older, you won’t need a cosigner to be eligible for the card. The rewards for this cash back card are “tiered”: you’ll earn 5% cash back on the first 6 months spent on retail, fuel, utilities and cable. For everything else, the default cash back rate for everyday purchases is 1%. But there’s also a 2% cash back tier if you enroll in their rewards program for popular rotating categories.
#3 $50 statement credit for several cards
In 2010, there were three credit cards in Citibank’s product roster that participated in a back to school promotion. These were the Citi Dividend Platinum Select Card, the Citi Forward Card and the Citi mtvU Platinum Select Card.
All of them had these basic benefits that made them attractive choices:
$50 Statement Credit From Citi Student Cards
- $50 statement credit when you make $50 in purchases within 90 days of being a cardmember.
- $0 liability on fraudulent charges.
- 0% intro APR on purchases for 7 months. Following the intro period, your APR adjusts to a variable 12.99% to 22.24% based on your credit history.
Following are the specific rewards you’ll receive from each card. We’ve covered these cards in some detail in past articles, but here’s a quick review:
Citi Dividend Platinum Select Card
This card is a nice cash back rewards card with the following benefits:
- Earn the typical 5% cash back perk that’s a standby feature for many cards of this kind. The 5% cash back applies to purchases made at grocery stories, supermarkets, gas stations, drugstores and utilities for 6 months. The cash back returns are adjusted to 1% after 6 months.
- Earn a 2% cash back in rotating spending categories such as hotel, apparel, dining, etc. You’ll need to enroll quarterly to participate.
- Earn 1% cash back for everything else.
Citi mtvU Platinum Select Card
This card gives away reward points, starting with these particulars:
- Earn up to 4,000 points if you maintain a good GPA each year. The maximum number of points you can earn during this promo is double the usual number of points offered for a 4.0 GPA.
- You’ll also earn 5 points for each dollar spent on restaurants, music, books and movies, and 1 point on all other purchases.
- Those who value student events such as free concerts and Spring Break events will enjoy access to some exclusive experiences, thanks to this card.
Citi Forward Card
Here’s a card which has innovative rewards for students. With it, you can:
- Earn up to 1,200 rewards points annually just by practicing good credit management. Pay on time and keep within your credit limit to receive the bonus points.
- Get up to a 2% purchase APR reduction when you make a purchase, pay on time and keep under your credit limit for 3 billing periods in a row.
- Get 5 reward points for each dollar you spend on certain spending categories such as dining, books, music and movies. Get 1 point on all other purchases you make.
- Earn 2,500 additional bonus points if you sign up for electronic statements.
Created July 16, 2010. Updated July 25, 2011. Copyright © 2011 The Digerati Life. All Rights Reserved.