Despite all the tough economic stuff we’ve been dealing with lately, what say we take a moment to think about what makes America special to us?
I’m a first generation immigrant turned naturalized American who came to this country almost 25 years ago to get an advanced education in the field I wanted to specialize in. I had planned to return to my home country soon after finishing my studies, but that didn’t pan out. I ended up staying in the United States because of the job opportunity I was soon afforded and the financial benefits I received by staying here. I’ve often wondered how my life would have turned out if I had stuck to my original plans. Do you ever wonder what your alternative life could have been like?
All I can say is that America has been a wonderful, incredible place to live in. I went through some pretty big adjustments to get settled here, but it was all worth it. Thanks to America I can:
- Drive by myself. The stereotype is true (not elaborating), I’m not a good driver and it was impossible for me to learn how to drive anywhere else.
- Drink water from the tap.
- Stop worrying about mosquitoes.
- Have a fast internet connection.
- Work at home.
- Use Tivo. I haven’t quite warmed up to online television.
- Invest in the stock market without having as much fear of being wiped out.
- Have a solid chance at success even while starting from scratch (or nothing). I guess that’s why they call it “The American Dream“.
- Start a business without paying lots of random fees that don’t have anything to do with the business.
- Do many things without having to pay anyone off first. 😉
- Hole up at home and never EVER get bored!
I could go on and on… but I’ll spare you the details.
What I don’t like about this place so much? Sometimes things get too politically correct for my tastes… 😉 and we don’t have these available to the masses.
How Do I Love America? Let Me Count The Ways
- This country is so accommodating. There are handicapped parking places everywhere, even in front of a skating rink.
- Only in America…do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries and a diet Coke.
- Only in America…do banks leave both doors to the vault open and then chain the pens to the counters. And where are the armed guards? (That’s an honest question!)
- Only in America…do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and put our useless junk in the garage!
- Only in America…do we buy ourselves answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won’t miss a call from someone we didn’t want to converse with in the first place.
- Only in America…do we have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.
- Only in America…do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight.
- Where else can we get these crazy toys? Thank you Gizmodo for these finds!
- George Bush Toilet Brush (aka Bowl Buddy) for $16.95.
- Hillary Clinton Nutcracker (ugh!) for $19.99.
- Guns in knives. Or is it knives in guns? For $699.
- Yay for cheap barbecues on huge grills! And grillz!
- Many forms of work are decently rewarded. And we all love winners — America loves its champs and pays them well. Even eating is a sport where you can get prize money! You may even have a better shot at this than with the lottery, if you work hard enough.
- We love to work ourselves to the bone today, so that we can afford to relax and live lazy lives tomorrow.
- We’re ready to multi-task in style!
- There’s a market for everything. Lots of business ideas, dumb or otherwise, come to fruition here. This place is a haven for senseless inventions that will command some of your dollars. Sometimes, we just can’t resist!
Viva Americana! What else is great about the U.S.? Well now it’s even much easier to get a piece of it! Buy America, it’s on sale right now 😉 . All humor aside, I feel truly blessed to be living here.
Image Credit: Craziest American Flag Art @ InventorSpot.com
Copyright © 2008 The Digerati Life. All Rights Reserved.